.

Thursday, August 28, 2003

Pregnant Eating

Okay I've had about enough of this topic so I'm going to let my rant loose and forget about it. To begin, I've always been a very picky eater. I always say to not take offense if I don't eat something that is put in front of me, it's probably delicious, I'm just not a fan of that particular food. Erich is the exact opposite. Although he too is a picky eater, he will eat anything that is put in front of him.

Pregnancy has not made me any less of a picky eater. In fact, it has probably made it worse since things I once enjoyed like fast food, greasy foods, sweets, milk, cereal, and eggs no longer appeal to me. (I did however have Chinese food the other day on a craving, but normally I don't like Chinese). So most foods that make me sick now are breakfast foods. If I don't eat breakfast, I start the day off sick, so breakfast has become somewhat of a difficult time.

So the other day, I went into the cafeteria to scavenge for something to eat. The only thing that looked appealing was a doughnut. Knowing that if I at least got something into my stomach, I would feel much better and able to snack on nuts and crackers until lunchtime. I paid for the doughnut and noticed coworkers sitting at a table eating so I joined them. As soon as I sat down someone says " you know that doughnut isn't very good for that baby". This irritates me, but I smile and say " I guess you are right."

A couple of days later, I go into the cafeteria to buy a small coke. I have a raging headache (which about five days later, I still have) so I figure a small dose of caffeine might help things. Well I run into yet another coworker and he tells me that I shouldn't drink caffeine while pregnant. This enrages me. First off, I don't indulge in junk food all day long. In fact, junk food mostly makes me sick. And sweets make me sick, so I'm probably eating healthier than I have ever eaten in my entire life. Secondly, this is coming from a man who earlier this year had a heart attack, yet still smokes at least a pack a day. I could have said, "well those cigs aren't good for your heart, and it probably enrages the people that WORKED THEIR A**ES OFF TO SAVE YOUR BUTT to see you smoking."

I understand that everybody has this thing in them that wants to "help." But to be truthful those things are more upsetting to me. It makes me think I'm going to be a bad mom, if I can't even do what's right for baby while s/he is inside of me. I know there is always going to be someone, but I wish people would just lay off for a while. I had a very rough beginning 12 weeks of this pregnancy. I haven't gained a ton of weight, in fact I lost almost 22lbs. I only think that since the weight loss that I've gained maybe a 1 1/2 lb. I'm not going crazy like some preggers do, but there is no way to show others that. I guess I just have to bite my tongue and live with it.

No comments: